Job title: Safeguarding Officer
Based at: Ewood Park Stadium, Blackburn, BB2 4JF.
Reports to: Senior Safeguarding Manager (SSM)
Responsible for: N/A
Hours of work: 35 hours per week plus any additional hours necessary for the performance of duties. This may include evening and weekend work.
Contractual status: Permanent
Job purpose: To promote and protect the safety and welfare of children and adults at risk of harm, recognising the Club and Community Trust’s commitment that safeguarding is everyone’s concern. To also provide effective Club-wide strategic leadership and management with a clear sense of direction and purpose that assists the Club to deliver its safeguarding strategy, vision, values and meets League Safeguarding Standards.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To be committed to ensuring the safety and welfare of all children and adults at risk of harm, promoting their well-being needs and providing a safe environment;
- To ensure safeguarding is embedded in organisational leadership, governance and culture;
- To work closely with and report on a regular basis to the Club SSM and provide regular safeguarding updates and reports to the Board of Directors;
- To ensure the Club and Community Trust meet the EFL safeguarding standards, complying with statutory obligations and current legislation;
- To manage the current Safeguarding Structure within the Club and Community Trust, ensuring compliance with the safeguarding strategy and implementation plan to deliver successful outcomes to meet EFL Safeguarding Standards in readiness for regular safeguarding audits;
- To maintain and promote a culture of trust, inclusion, transparency, listening and respect;
- To ensure everyone takes responsibility for safeguarding and that staff understand their individual responsibilities to safeguard and promote the welfare of vulnerable groups;
- To oversee, support and liaise with departmental Designated Safeguarding Officers (DSOs) and their managers across the Club and Community Trust sites, establishing an effective reporting structure;
- Ensure effective safeguarding related policies and procedures are in place, by managing the development, implementation and review of such, ensuring adherence to FA/EFL safeguarding standards and legislative requirements;
- To work closely with the HR Department and managers to develop and implement safer recruitment procedures, induction practices and safeguarding training across the organisation;
- To ensure all children and adults are informed about their rights and that everyone is equipped with safeguarding knowledge and skills, pro-actively promoting and raising safeguarding awareness to all staff, players, participants and parents/guardians/carers;
- To attend regular safeguarding training and maintain an up to date knowledge base of relevant legislation, regulations and best practice;
- Ensure all concerns and complaints are taken seriously and responded to swiftly and appropriately, recording all concerns, incidents and allegations including poor practice and low-level concerns in an accurate and timely manner;
- To work together with football authorities, other football clubs, external partners and agencies in the community, managing relationships and building and maintaining links, to promote and protect the safety and welfare of children and adults at risk of harm;
- To act as the Club’s lead source of safeguarding support, advice and expertise, giving direction and guidance to all staff in respect of safeguarding incidents, concerns and allegations, supporting staff to respond appropriately to concerns about the welfare or safety of vulnerable groups and leading and providing direction to DSOs;
- To provide safeguarding advice and guidance across the company including the Board of Directors; and
- To continuously work to maintain, embed and improve the Club’s safeguarding provision ensuring the highest standards for safeguarding vulnerable groups
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ensure confidentiality and discretion at all times
- Good organisation skills with the ability to prioritise work accordingly;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent IT skills
- The ability to promote best practice
- The ability to develop effective working relationships across all areas, promoting a safe environment for all stakeholders and managing professional boundaries;
- The ability to chair, lead and facilitate meetings;
- A flexible approach to working within a fast paced environment and the ability to meet short deadlines; and
- Confident, with the ability to carry out complex investigations in relation to Safeguarding to a high standard and line with legislation.
Knowledge / Experience required:
- Demonstrable experience in safeguarding and risk management;
- Good knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends within safeguarding and working with children and vulnerable groups;
- Previous experience of case management with a good understanding of statutory authorities and legislation; and
- Previous experience of developing, reviewing and implementing written policies and procedures.
- 5 GCSE’s grade A*-C (or equivalent);
- FA Safeguarding; and
- A proven track record of working within a Safeguarding or Child Protection role.
DBS check required: Yes (enhanced)
The document is a guide only and should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the organisation.
How to Apply
Due to high-levels of interest, this post may close early so early application is advised, otherwise the closing date for this role is 12 noon on Thursday 30th September 2021.
Equality and Diversity
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. The job holder will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.