Performance Coach - Goalkeepers
We are seeking an exceptional individual to lead the provision of physical performance coaching for our Goalkeepers across the club.
We see goalkeeping as being a ‘sport within a sport’ and have identified a need to recognise that by creating this innovative and progressive role to provide bespoke performance support to these players.
Responsibilities will include the development of a Goalkeeping Performance Pathway to ensure goalkeepers across the club have the absolute best support in relation to; performance profiling, warm-ups / activation, speed/agility development, strength/power development, sports vision training, on-field conditioning and recovery sessions. A large proportion of the role will involve working closely with our Head of Goalkeeping in delivering performance support to our senior goalkeepers both on the grass and in the gym.
• Working alongside the Head of High Performance and Head of Goalkeeping to develop the Wolves Goalkeeping Performance Pathway.
• Collection and interpretation of various data sets including, but not limited to; GPS, Heart Rate, wellness/monitoring and subjective load questionnaires, to inform the day-to-day management of goalkeepers at the club.
• Deliver to a high level both in the gym and on the grass to ensure players are optimally conditioned to perform at the highest level.
• Produce reports on all goalkeepers and present at MDT / Management meetings, conveying physical state, capacities and training / loading history and to help answer questions in relation to player recruitment and retention
• Working closely with the physiotherapists and wider medical team to put processes in place to minimise injury burden / maximise availability of our Goalkeepers.
• Work with the nutritionists to ensure a bespoke goalkeeper nutrition programme is in place.
• Expert communication and ability to educate the academy performance coaches to ensure that they fully understand (and are able to implement) the Goalkeeping Performance Pathway down through the club across both Men’s and Women’s teams.
• Compliance with Club policies
• Compliance with the Club’s health and safety procedures
• Compliance with the Club’s safeguarding policies
• To promote the Club’s values
• To work consistently to embed equality & diversity into the Club
• To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected
• To maintain professional conduct at all times
Knowledge: the level and breadth of knowledge to do the job e.g. understanding of a defined system, method or procedure, legal or regulatory frameworks etc
• Operate within the rules of professional confidentiality to liaise with athletes, medical staff, sports science staff, coaches and other support staff as appropriate
• An understanding of individual responsibility in complying with Health and Safety policies
• A basic understanding of the Governing body (the Premier league & FA) their doping policy, and basic pathological requirements and how this relates to nutrition support modification
• Understanding of the physical demands placed on goalkeepers in elite football
Technical/work-based skills: skills specific to the job e.g. language competence, typing skills, coaching skills etc
• Experience of on-field / gym based delivery in elite level sport.
• Experience of data collection, storage and visualisation that utilises a wide variety of data sources.
• High level of competence with excel and GPS/HR hardware/software
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team environment Desirable
• Goalkeeper specific coaching experience
General skills and attributes: more general characteristics e.g. flexibility, communication skills, team working etc
• Ability to communicate complex data in terms that are easily understood by a wide range of audiences
• Ability to work irregular and unsociable hours as required, involving work outside normal office hours, evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays
• Understanding of how to work safely with children and/or vulnerable adults and uphold generally accepted practice when working with those participants.
• Promote, adhere to and implement the Club’s Equality Policy and to work consistently to embed equality and diversity within Club.
• Experience of actively engaging with athletes/players, technical coaches and medical staff to present data in a clear an understandable manner
Experience: proven record of experience in a particular field, profession or specialism.
• Significant experience working with data in a high-performance environment.
• Having worked in an elite football / team sport multi-disciplinary team
Qualifications: the level of educational, professional and/or occupational training required Essential
• An undergraduate degree in sport science related field
• Post-holder will be subject to a DBS check at the appropriate level and cleared by the Wolves Safeguarding Manager Desirable
• Master’s degree in a sports science or data science related field
• UKSCA Accreditation
• BASES Accreditation