Head of Sports Science
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a new Head of Sports Science to lead our First Team Sports Science department.
You’ll work collaboratively with our multi-disciplinary team, designing and delivering best practice sports science to enhance the performance of our first team players. This is a hugely exciting opportunity to join a progressive team and be part of our vision to create an elite performance environment. You’ll need experience of delivering first class sports science services in a competitive environment, coupled with determination and the levels of resilience and adaptability that our sport demands.
With a salary commensurate with experience, an employee bonus scheme and a great CPD offer, this is a fantastic and immediately available opportunity to join our Newcastle United family.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the delivery of monitoring, profiling and evaluation of all first team squad players to ensure that
- Strength and Conditioning programmes are in place for all and that each player’s physical development
- requirements are tailored to their specific needs and priorities;
- Manage and lead the development of long term load and athletic planning;
- Work collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary team regarding the status and physical preparation required to reduce the risk of injury and to maintain high performance and athletic development of first team players, maximising performance impact;
- Design and/or enhance existing evidence-based protocols for return to train and return to play processes, and manage the transition process in conjunction with the medical department;
- Build and maintain effective and professional relationships within the Medical & Sports Science
- Department, and additionally with the coaches, players and the wider Club network to facilitate strong operational delivery;
- Develop and deliver enhanced analysis and reporting on Sports Science performance and outcomes to ensure our approach is insights led, overseeing data collection and analysis of technical, tactical, physical and other relevant data;
- Ensure the latest clinical, scientific and technical innovations for applied practice are implemented while maintaining the highest level of care;
- Work closely with the Academy Head of Sports Science to monitor and review the transition process from Academy to First Team to ensure efficiency and effectiveness;
- Create an open, engaging, and highly motivated performance culture within the First Team Sports Science Department, inspiring delivery of the highest standards in terms of the technical and non-technical requirements of individual roles;
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times;
- Effectively lead the Sports Science team (First Team Strength & Conditioning Coach, First Team Sport Scientist, and First Team Data Scientist), using CPD to continuously develop and enhance their performance;
- Work collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary team (Treatment, Medical Rehabilitation and Coaching colleagues) to deliver excellent outcomes in an elite performance environment