Head of Player Recruitment
Job title: Head of Player Recruitment
Department: Senior Recruitment Department
Location: Blackburn Rovers Senior Training Centre, Brockhall Village, Blackburn, BB6 8FA. Flexibility regarding location is required.
Reports to: Board of Directors and Director of Football
Responsible for: Senior and Academy Recruitment & Talent Identification Departments
Hours of work: A minimum of 40 hours per week plus any additional hours necessary. This will include regular evening and weekend work.
Job purpose: To develop and oversee the recruitment and talent identification process and player acquisition strategies. To also lead and manage the First Team and Academy recruitment departments to ensure integration and collaboration
Duties and responsibilities:
- To be committed to ensuring the safeguarding and welfare of all elite players, promoting their well-being whilst maintaining professional boundaries;
- Overall strategic responsibility for player recruitment for Blackburn Rovers FC;
- To manage effectively and efficiently the operation of the Club’s recruitment strategy at First Team and Academy levels, working closely with the Board of Directors and Director of Football regarding the signing of potential players;
- Drafting and preparing the necessary strategy plans for the recruitment of players at Blackburn Rovers FC;
- Making sure that the recruitment strategy aligns with the overall vision and strategy for the Club;
- To develop, review and update the Club’s recruitment philosophy, policies, protocols and procedures in ensuring the Academy recruitment is compliant with EPPP requirements;
- Manage and co-ordinate First Team and Academy Recruitment supporting staff and scouts in accordance with the strategy for the recruitment of players both on a local, regional, national and international scale;
- Review, update and implement the scouting reports in line with the Club player profiles, whilst ensuring all reports are completed by all recruitment staff;
- Lead the creation and develop/maintain appropriate online tools to assist in increasing efficiency in player reporting, targeting, player acquisition and succession planning for First Team and Academy recruitment. Creating robust and comprehensive rating systems and other visualisations to provide up to date insightful information within the recruitment strategy;
- Continually monitor the performance of the Club’s scouting network and players identified;
- Oversee the development of strong relationships with other football club’s internationally, nationally and locally as well as other key organisations (e.g. Agencies) to assist with the recruitment of players alongside developing our loan strategy;
- Review and update recruitment “Depth Charts” on a regular basis, and ensure that all scouting staff are fully aware of these;
- To ensure the Club’s player target list for First Team and Academy is updated and monitored on a daily basis in connection with the Club’s succession plan;
- Manage the Club’s recruitment budget and scout’s expenses;
- Attend relevant Club meetings, whilst also implementing departmental meetings and in-service training for scouts;
- To ensure compliance with all relevant Club policies, including health and safety policies;
- To ensure compliance with all relevant legal, regulatory, ethical and social requirements; and
- To maintain a flexible approach to work at all times.
- A dynamic, hardworking and enthusiastic individual who is personally committed to achieving agreed objectives;
- Can bring a strategic overview to recruitment and is able to efficiently manage information from different sources at the same time;
- Able to work with both data and live scouting to integrate both forms of information into the decision making process;
- Excellent IT skills and a clear understanding of the different recruitment software packages, including the Premier League PMA system and ISF Scout 7;
- Experience of EPPP/ Category 1 regulations;
- Excellent communication skills and is able to listen to the opinion of others in order to make the best decisions on behalf of the Club;
- Is aware of own behaviour, strengths and areas for improvement and is receptive to feedback;
- Displays a high level of confidentiality in relation to the Club and its personnel;
- To ensure familiarity and compliance with and commitment to policies and procedures and other safeguarding documentation as appropriate; and
- The ability to raise awareness of safeguarding practices and create a culture of trust and inclusion.
- Proven track record working within a First Team elite performance setting;
- A proven record of accomplishment of being successful in the identification and recruitment of players across all age groups within an Academy system and professional game;
- Previous experience of managing and leading interdisciplinary teams and departments;
- Good knowledge and network of other contacts within football recruitment;
- Excellent knowledge and experience of the football environment in relation to the recruitment of players and the regulations that govern player recruitment;
- Knowledge and understanding recruitment practices at First Team and Academy level; and
- Good knowledge of Safeguarding/child protection policies and procedures.
- FA Level 4 Talent Identification Award (Desirable)
- UEFA A License (Desirable)
- FA Safeguarding Certificate (Essential)
- FA Emergency Aid Certificate (Desirable)
DBS check required: Yes (enhanced)
The document is a guide only and should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the organisation.
How to apply
Due to high-levels of interest, this post may close early so early application is advised, otherwise the closing date for this role is 12 noon on Monday 27th June 2022.
CV’s will not be accepted.
Equality and Diversity
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.