Head of Medical Services
Job title: Head of Medical Services
Department: Senior Medical Department
Based at: Senior Training Centre, Brockhall Village, Old Langho, BB6 8FA. Flexibility regarding location is required.
Reports to: First Team Manager
Responsible for: Senior Medical Dpeartment Staff
Hours of work: A minimum of 40 hours per week plus any additional hours necessary for the performance of duties. This will include regular evening and weekend work.
Contractual status: Permanent
Job purpose: To lead and manage a comprehensive medical service for all first team players, implementing evidence based treatment and an objective rehabilitation service to all members of the first team squad.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To be committed to ensuring the safeguarding and welfare of all elite players, promoting their well-being needs whilst maintaining professional boundaries;
- To provide, coordinate and implement all medical provision for the first team players including injury prevention, treatment and rehabilitation;
- To encourage an interdisciplinary approach between all senior football departments;
- To ensure detailed daily recordings of medical information and progress for all individual players in line with relevant legislation and procedures;
- To oversee and provide medical assessments for any player recruitment;
- To organise and implement an in-house CPD programme for all Senior Medical staff including monitoring and ensuring required staff qualifications are valid and up to date;
- To proactively lead and enhance all senior medical procedures and practices;
- To provide and/or ensure emergency first aid services for all training sessions and matches, including both home and away;
- To liaise and coordinate with the Club Doctor on a regular basis including scheduling of consultations and procedures;
- To create and build professional relationships with players and staff to support injury rehabilitation needs;
- To contribute specialist knowledge to the Senior Medical staff including rehabilitation planning and case management process;
- To ensure the latest clinical, scientific and technical innovations to practice are incorporated into maintaining the highest level of care; and
- Any other duties as reasonably assigned by the First Team Manager from time to time.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to make decisions quickly and consistently;
- Excellent clinical skills in relation to history taking, clinical examination, appropriate investigation and referral for ongoing care when required;
- To set and maintain high standards of work performance and deliver quality consistently and professionally;
- Excellent clinical reasoning skills and range of clinical treatment skills;
- The ability to understand the cultural aspects of medical care for a squad with various nationalities;
- To develop professional networks and create and maintain effective working relationships;
- The ability to maintain confidentiality at all times;
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to handle complex cases with integrity;
- The ability to be flexible to adapt to varying working weeks to meet the demands of the role;
- To display excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to meet fixed deadlines and prioritise work accordingly; and
Excellent problem solving skills using initiative and sensitivity.
Knowledge and experience required:
- Previous experience working within an interdisciplinary sports science and medical environment;
- Excellent knowledge of IT and proficient with software including Microsoft packages;
- Proven track record of working within a sports medicine team with the delivery of injury diagnosis, treatment and prevention strategies within an elite sporting environment;
- Previous management experience of leading and developing a team;
- Previous experience of implementing rehabilitation to high performance athletes; and
- Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding procedures and protocols.
- MSc in Physiotherapy or relevant field;
- BSc Hons in Physiotherapy or relevant field;
- Membership of a nationally recognised professional physiotherapy association or equivalent (e.g. CSP, HCPC)
- A current and valid ATMMiF qualification or equivalent or higher qualification as otherwise approved by The Football Association;
- A current and valid FA First Aid Certificate; and
- Must hold a valid UK driving licence.
The document is a guide only and should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the organisation.
How to apply:
Due to high-levels of interest, this post may close early so early application is advised, otherwise the closing date for this role is 9:00am on Monday 21st June 2021.
Equality and Diversity
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. The job holder will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.