Foundation Phase & Youth Development Phase Coach (Premier League - Coach Inclusion and Diversity Scheme [CIDS])
Salary: Up to £30,000 per annum
Contract Type: 23-month fixed term employment
Location: The Nigel Doughty Academy, Nottingham Forest Training Ground
Premier League Coach Development Programme: The successful candidate will divide their time between their Nottingham Forest employment and their individual development plan which includes enrolment to the Premier League’s Coach Development Programme
Background on the Coach Inclusion and Diversity Scheme
Professional football must better reflect modern Britain. Nottingham Forest in partnership with the Premier League, are seeking to improve the diversity of football coaches in the professional game to make this area more representative of society and the playing population. As part of our commitment to improving diversity, we are proud to be able to support the Coach Inclusion and Diversity Scheme, Season 2023/2024, by providing a high-quality fixed-term employment opportunity that supports under-represented groups within the football industry. The scheme is open to coaches who are currently under-represented within English Professional Football – these identified groups being individuals from Black, Asian and Mixed Heritage backgrounds, including Women from all backgrounds.
We believe that having greater diversity helps the whole Club to perform better both on and off the pitch. We are therefore actively encouraging coaches from under-represented groups to embrace the opportunity to aspire to coach in the professional game, so that football at all levels better represents the wider communities in which it is played, enjoyed and serves.
What is the Coach Inclusion and Diversity Scheme?
The CIDS will provide a 23-month fixed-term employment opportunity and development programme for the successful candidate. The Club will act as the ‘base’ of employment and the individual will work across a variety of football functions within the Club in order to broaden their learning experience.
Nottingham Forest in partnership with the Premier League, aim to identify a high potential coach so that after the scheme, they remain highly employable within the professional game. Simultaneously, the Premier League want to be able to recognise and support clubs involved in the scheme as Inclusion and Diversity role models.
The fixed-term employment opportunity will include coaching and observation across the Academy, including multi-disciplinary teams. Successful applicants will enter the Premier League’s Coach Development Programme which is accredited by Leeds Beckett University. Upon successful completion of the programme, coaches will receive a Diploma in Professional Football Coaching. The development programme includes mentoring, workshops, peer learning, projects and FA/UEFA qualifications dependent on need.
Objectives of the Scheme
- To increase the number of coaches who are from Black, Asian and Mixed Heritage backgrounds, including women from all backgrounds in full-time coaching positions in English Professional Football.
- To provide coaches on the Scheme with a fixed-term employment contract and development opportunities within a Premier League or Category One Club.
- To substantially improve long-term employment prospects for coaches who complete the scheme.
- To provide each of the coaches with their own development programme to ensure that they are appropriately supported to become successful coaches and visible role models.
- To assist in diversifying the workforce at Premier League and Category One Clubs, promoting a culture of equality, diversity and inclusion.
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, hardworking, and determined individual to join our business and perform a key role within the Nottingham Forest Academy.
Reporting to the Coaching and Development Lead, the role will be to lead a specified age group within the Foundation Phase or Youth Development Phase, whilst being adaptable to work across age groups as and when required. In addition, the role will hold responsibility for technical development, and to assist in the physical, mental, social and academic development of the Academy players within the Football Club as prescribed by the Club philosophy.
This is a great opportunity to join NFFC at an exciting time and be part of a successful Club that is passionate about its people.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To provide to the best of their ability, and to the standard required by NFFC, coaching players across the Academy system to ensure players meet the required standard to be retained and thrive within the environment.
- To assist the Foundation Phase & Youth Development Phase Lead Coach(es) in the development of, and implementation of, the coaching programme in across the phases. This will include developing and implementing team, group and individual syllabuses for these players.
- To assist the technical staff in the coaching of the Academy players across the age groups, including individually focused sessions as a part of the hybrid programme.
- To select Academy teams for fixtures with the Phase Lead(s).
- To lead Academy teams for fixtures to ensure the Academy playing and coaching philosophy is being carried out.
- Following fixtures, watch video footage and assist the Performance Analysts in preparing the feedback for the players either individually or as teams.
- To have an input regarding which players train and play with different age groups and provide relevant rationale for any decision made.
- Be involved in the decision-making process regarding signing trialists, in addition to whether an Academy player is retained or not within the Foundation Phase and Youth Development Phase.
- To complete all administration tasks relevant to the job on time and to the highest possible standards as required by the Club. This will include all tasks required by the Premier League and the full requirements of the Elite Player Performance Plan, including the Audit tool relating to the coaching programme. In particular each player’s PMA Performance Clock and individual development plan should be kept up to date at all times.
- To ensure the correct procedure is carried out for trialists, including relevant coaching input and feedback.
- To ensure that all players, parents and staff in their charge, act in an appropriate fashion as required by their relevant Nottingham Forest Football Club Code of Conduct.
- To promptly communicate with the Coaching & Development Lead any important information regarding their work (e.g. may arrive late and reasons why; information on players).
- To take part in development activities, both inside and outside the Club, which will improve the quality of their coaching and overall work. This will include ensuring all qualifications are up to date and additional, relevant qualifications are undertaken when appropriate and agreed.
- To drive Club transport when required.
- To implement all reasonable tasks as instructed by the Academy Manager and Head of Coaching & Player Development and Coaching & Development Lead.
- To ensure all the necessary administration directly related to the player’s educational requirements and logbooks is completed to the highest possible standard.
- Coaches who are currently under-represented within the English professional game – individuals from Black, Asian and Mixed Heritage backgrounds, including women from all backgrounds.
- This is a positive action scheme aimed at addressing under-represented groups in football coaching. Applications will only be accepted from individuals from those backgrounds.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- No previous experience of full-time coaching in a Premier League or EFL Club.
- UEFA B Licence.
- Current FA Safeguarding Certificate.
- Enhanced DBS Clearance.
- Emergency First Aid Certificate.
- Excellent knowledge of professional football.
- Experience of focusing on individual player development within a team process.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, be adaptable to work with members of staff across departments and senior staff.
- Ability to work under pressure and willing to work unsociable hours to meet deadlines.
- Dedicated to self-improvement and personal development.
- Organised, methodical and logical approach to work.
- High level IT and presentation skills, in building and delivering relevant information.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience of coaching a team or group of players on a regular basis.
- UEFA A Licence.
- FA Advanced Youth Award (or working towards).
- Previous professional playing experience.
If you are excited at the thought of joining our amazing team at Nottingham Forest, our application process is via our Application and Diversity forms which can be found and downloaded from our website and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com along with a copy of your CV. Please make clear in your application evidence of all the criteria from the essential and desirable criteria which you fulfil. Applications are welcome from coaches who are from Black, Asian and Mixed Heritage backgrounds – including women from all backgrounds. Reasonable adjustments will be made for any applicant with a disability and these should be requested directly to firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applications, we receive daily, please state your name and the job role in the email subject bar on application as follows: NAME – JOB ROLE – APPLICATION
- Closing Date: 16th June 2023
- Shortlisting: w/c 19th June 2023
- Interviews to be carried out: w/c 3rd July 2023
Nottingham Forest Football Club is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital / civil partnership status, pregnancy / maternity leave, race, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristic.