Foundation Head of Operations
The Head of Operations role oversees all daily operations of the Foundation ensuring that the charity is well coordinated and productive by managing its procedures and supporting staff. The areas of responsibility for this role are wide and requires a candidate with thorough knowledge of various organisational processes.
We are committed to the principle of equality and equal opportunities in employment and have been accredited with being a Disability Confident Leader. We will actively promote equality and equal opportunities in our business to ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and consistent with their relevant aptitudes, potential skills and abilities.
West Ham United FC is committed to equality and safeguarding children and ‘adults at risk’. Positions that involve working with such groups are subject to safer recruitment protocols, including DBS Disclosure at enhanced level.
West Ham United staff enjoy generous benefits, including a contributory scheme, 25 days’ leave and life assurance. You can also take advantage of childcare vouchers, interest-free season ticket loans, a cycle to work scheme and our employee wellbeing programme.
We believe that a diverse workforce strengthens our creativity and delivers the best commercial performance. We are, therefore seeking applications from high quality people, whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our company.
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health of our staff.
The Head of Operations role oversees all daily operations of the Foundation ensuring that the charity is well coordinated and productive by managing its procedures and supporting staff. The areas of responsibility for this role are wide and requires a candidate with thorough knowledge of various organisational processes. They will need to be competent and process the ability to plan and manage different kinds of operational activity. The Head of Operations will be part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and must be an excellent leader who can find the most efficient ways to run the charity so it meets its objectives.
- Project Lead the Operations Department and contribute to the SLT.
- Line Manage the Operations Manager, Operations team and security team, providing support, advice and guidance ensuring organisational KPIs are met.
- Manage and develop systems to track project quality, delivery and risks.
- Lead and when required partner with members of the SLT and relevant West Ham United Football Club (WHUFC) departments to ensure excellent service is provided, within budget and to plan.
- Contribute to the business plan process and meet KPIs.
- Lead change management strategies for the Foundation.
- Premises management of WHUF Beckton Hub site.
- Develop and oversee the reviewing, updating and implementation of the health and safety and quality assurance processes. This will include the management of risk registers, schemes of responsibilities and critical incident plans.
- Conduct operational reviews with development teams, advise on best practices and partner to design creative solutions to challenges that arise.
- Be the emergency phone holder for accidents and emergencies reporting, including out of hours cover.
- You will be a visual presence at programmes to support staff to improve operations in a range of settings including leisure and sports facilities, educational establishments, and youth and community centres.
- Work closely with both the Safeguarding and Equality Diversity and Inclusion Manager to ensure the Foundation is providing a safe and inclusive environment.
- Lead on HR policy and procedure working closely with the Managing Director, the administration team and the Director of HR.
- Work closely with WHUFC colleagues and external partners to ensure that data protection and GPDR are adhered to, by supporting staff across the Foundation.
- Lead the Operations and Continuous Improvement forums, working closely with staff from across the Foundation.
- Provide monthly operation reviews by presenting important metrics.
- Lead on the development and implementation of data collection and technology strategies.
- Plan, coordinate and deliver operation training and/or updates through staff training days and/or events.
- Ensure the Foundation site(s) are run effectively and meet all legal and safety requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders including WHUFC, Premier League, The FA, Sports Fusion and Substance – Views.
- You will create project plans and track milestone across operation department strands.
- Manage priorities across multiple programs.
- Measure progress and suggest top level actions to address progress shortfalls.
- Anticipate reasonable contingencies.
- To support income generation across all departments including managing the pitch hire enterprise at the Beckton site ensuring KPIs are met.
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing and Communications to develop promotional opportunities throughout our delivery sites and ensure policies are being met.
- Oversee customer service and support and employ strategies to enhance the customer experience.
- You will manage all charity governance, policy updates and manage the operation department budget.
- Provide complex project solutions across multiple disciplines that consider process, technology and resources.
1. To ensure that all departments are provided within an anti-discriminatory framework and take account of such issues as race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion, sexual orientation and age.
2. To carry out work in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity for both staff and clients
- Staff must evidence a commitment to the safety and welfare of children, young people and adults at risk regardless of their age, gender, language, religion, ethnic background or sexual identity and ensure the safety and protection of all children, young people and adults at risk taking part in any activity arranged by or in the name of the Club.
- It is a requirement for staff to follow the Club’s Safeguarding reporting procedures to report without delay, allegations of abuse, poor practice or which is or may, impact on the welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk. After contacting and taking guidance from the Safeguarding Team, staff must use the Club’s Child Protection Online Management System (CPOMS ) to record the concern within 24 hours unless directed to do otherwise.
Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas: - Essential (E) Desirable (D)
- Educated to degree level in business management, operations or equivalent experience, business studies or management related subject (E)
- Project Management qualification
- Risk Assessment level minimum level 3 (E)
- Health and Safety qualification minimum level 3 (E)
- Facilities management qualifications desirable
- Experience managing a dynamic, fast paced community facility (E)
- Policy development, implementation and anchoring (E)
- Experience managing governance audits (E)
- Experience managing charity governance and reporting to a Board (D)
- Knowledge and passion for sustainable operations (E)
- Experience of implementing GDPR & Data Protection policies and process (E)
- First Aid at Work (E)
- Full UK drivers’ licence
- Experience of implementing and leading digital strategy, using project management tools and CRM systems
- Proven achievement of KPIs that contribute to operational delivery and organisation strategy
- Managing financial budgets
- Experience of managing staff and leading a team
- Excellent organisational skills and leadership abilities (E)
- Outstanding communication skills and people skills (E)
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, building trust and developing strong relationships (E)
- Ability to problem solve in changeable environments (E)
- A creative, innovative thinker that is looking for ways to continuously improve systems and processes (E)
- Stakeholder management skills (E)
- Ability to motivate staff (E)
- Motivated to set high standards for self and others, striving for excellence (E)
- Can monitor allocation of resources and make contingency plans for changes where necessary (E)
- Knowledge of industry legal rules and guidelines (E)
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles including customer service, health and safety, quality assurance and HR (E)
- Knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics (E)
- Working knowledge of MS Office and various business software including CRM and facility booking systems (E)
- Experienced managing and analysing data (E)
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of customer service (E)
- Knowledge and passion for sustainable operations (E)
- Ability to analyse and integrate quantitative and qualitative data to assess progress and impact (E)
- Ability to interpret information and communicate to a range of internal and external customers. (E)
- Report writing skills (E)
- Flexible approach to working across 7 days at various sites (E)
- Acts with honesty and integrity, and understands how to use resources responsibly (E)
- Values differences, and a commitment to, and understanding of, equal opportunities and ability to promote anti-discriminatory practice (E)
- Commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion(E)