Football Secretary (Maternity Cover)
Tottenham Hotspur is a world famous football club based in North London. Off the pitch, the Club has a strong and successful business model centered around building a platform for long-term success, which now includes a new world-class stadium which opened in 2019.
The Club operates out of multiple sites, including a world class Training Centre in Enfield where all the First Team and the Academy’s training and coaching activities occur, and where the Football Administration department is based.
The Club is seeking a Football Secretary for 12 months to ensure utmost governance and proactive compliance of governing body rules and regulations across its First Team and Academy. The Football Secretary will also play a vital role in the transfer window, complying with UKBA immigration rules and facilitating player transfers.
The successful candidate will be extremely knowledgeable in their area and have an excellent understanding and experience navigating and applying the rules and regulations of football, across all relevant governing bodies (Premier League, FA, EFL, UEFA and FIFA).
The position will involve a regular presence at First Team home matches and away European matches so candidates should be willing and able to travel, work over weekends and/or Bank Holidays.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club welcomes applications from anyone regardless of age, disability, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
Player Registrations & Governance
- Day to day management of football administration including a link into Academy administration.
- Provide assistance/advice to the Board on regulations governing player registrations and competition rules.
- Support the negotiation and completion of contracts and agreements relating to the transfer, loan and registration of professional players and scholars, plus intermediaries contracts.
- Overall responsibility for player eligibility, squad list registrations, disciplinary matters and squad number submissions.
- Coordinate player/Manager disciplinary hearings and First Team fines, suspensions and appeals processes.
- Sign off on monthly player payroll including contingent bonuses, disciplinary fees and deductions.
- Liaise with relevant football associations with regard to international call-ups.
- Act as the Authorising Officer responsible for Governing Body Endorsements and Certificates of Sponsorship in respect of player work permit applications.
- Lodge FIFA Claims to the Player Status Committee including non-payment of transfer fees, training compensation and solidarity.
- Overall responsibility for the Club’s compliance with rules and regulations relating to the registration of young players.
- Regular liaison with and oversight of Academy Administration in relation to duties for Academy players.
Competition & Fixture Administration
- Act as the main contact for all football governing bodies (Premier League, The FA, English Football League, UEFA and FIFA) to ensure compliance with rules and regulations for all First Team competitions and the main contact for other Premier/Football League/European clubs with regard to First Team football matters.
- Oversee First Team fixture arrangements including liaison with competition authorities, visiting teams and Match Officials.
- Act as the project lead covering all key areas for the planning and organisation of UEFA competition matches, including planning trips as necessary.
- Oversee fixture arrangements for First Team tours and friendly matches.
- Overall responsibility for protocol matters for domestic matches, tours and UEFA competitions.
- Work with the Senior Executive Assistant to the Chairman to coordinate arrangements of tickets for Directors and Club officials for First Team away matches and advise on arrangements for home matches if required.
- Collate documentation for the Club’s UEFA Licence application in liaison with other departments as necessary.
- Coordinate the Club’s Covid-19 testing programme in conjunction with the Club’s Medical Team and manage the club-wide distribution/education of governing body Covid-19 football protocols regarding training and team matchday operations.
- Attend external football administration meetings and conferences as appropriate.
- Attend regular THFC Management/Heads of Department meetings.
- Thinks ahead, generates innovative ideas
- Values & respects others, builds relationships, collaborates
- Gets things done, delivers to highest of standards, takes responsibility
- Able to work under pressure
- Impeccable planning and organisation skills
- Efficient and effective
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Detail focussed
- Organised, rational and pragmatic
- Strong ethics aligned to club values
- Flexible approach to working hours
Skills & Experience
- Educated to degree level or relevant industry experience
- Proven track record in football and experience as a Club Secretary or Assistant or working within football’s governing bodies
- Knowledge and experience of contracts and legal documentation
- Ability to manage and motivate a small team
- Ability to implement and manage administration controls and procedures
- Computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office or similar
Safeguarding is fundamental to the success in all that we do. Successful candidates are subject to standard background and DBS checks.