Director of Brand Experience & Communications - Southampton Football Club
To lead the development and delivery of a world-class brand and customer experience strategy for our local, national and international fans and visitors to St Mary’s which ensures they feel valued, engaged and liking Southampton FC more as a result In so doing, continuously find new and innovative ways to bring The Southampton Way to life and to tell our brand story, both on and off the pitch, whilst ensuring a consistent and on-brand experience is delivered at every fan and customer touchpoint, both on and off line
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
PR & Communications
To develop, deliver and evolve an integrated corporate communications strategy that gives our external audience (media, fans, current and potential commercial partners, local community, players/agents) and internal audience (staff, players) every opportunity to understand the Club’s strategy, point of difference and direction of travel. In so doing, balance reactive and proactive media needs to ensure the Club is kept out of the media for the wrong reasons, and in it for the right reasons.
Brand Management, Creative Development & Commercial Content
To be the Ambassador of The Southampton Way within the Club, ensuring all departments understand the Club’s strategy and framework for decision making. In so doing, lead the evolution of The Southampton Way strategy and its management and creative expression across internal and external branding and digital content, whilst being the creative catalyst behind innovative content and engagement solutions to support the Club’s commercial teams and partnership activation requirements, both domestically and internationally i.e.podcasts, e-Gaming, etc. In so doing, actively direct the focus and output of the in-house design & creative team as well as the management of external creative agency resource.
To lead the team of dedicated Media Officers, AV and photography professionals to deliver an annual programme of football content that:-educates and entertains fans in a respectful way whilst ensuring they feel connected and loyal to the Club-reaches beyond our fan-base to engage the wider online football audience to grow out the footprint of engaged followers, both nationally and internationally-maintains best-practise and standards across social channels whilst continually looking to evolve and innovate on our operated channels
Venue, fan & customer experience
To oversee the strategic direction of the Supporter Relations Team to ensure positive, timely and on-brand fan engagement, including the management and evolution of Saints Voice (ensuring it continues as an effective liaison between the supporter base and the club) as well as the creation and delivery of various fan engagement platforms, forums and events. In so doing, identify new and unique ways to engage with supporters and improve their match-day experience, including the delivery of an innovative ‘Surprise & Delight’ programme to help drive loyalty, as well as innovative solutions to improving the atmosphere within and around the stadium on match days.
In addition, lead the development and delivery of a high-quality and unique Service Excellence programme across the key teams within the club and drive adoption of the strategy across all levels and teams. In so doing, oversee the development of innovative and practical customer journey maps for different types of non-match day events within the stadium that help deliver a consistent and high-quality experience for all visitors.
Digital strategy, platforms & projects
To lead the development of the Club’s digital strategy and digital infrastructure to ensure we deliver an on-brand experience at every digital touchpoint that enhances the fan and customer journey on a match day and non-match day. In so doing, ensure the distribution of the right content to the right people at the right time, whilst engaging different audiences across different digital platforms to help realisethe Club’s digital growth vision and commercial growth ambitions.
In addition, the role will have the following management responsibilities:
- Inspire, coach and develop all teams within the Brand, Creative, Content, Supporter Relations, Digital Platforms and Communications portfolio.
- Support, advise and coach team members.
- Embed the Club’s values within the team.
- Demonstrate the Club’s values in all interactions.
- Help deliver the Club’s strategy and vision.
- Lead from the front as a visible member of the senior leadership team of Directors across the organisation.
- Champion ‘The Southampton Way’ with every interaction, both internally and externally.
- Undertake ad-hoc duties as requested by the Board.
What does success for the role look like?
- The Southampton Way is fully embedded across the Club and informing decision making across football and non-football departments (measured by Our Score Survey feedback)
- SFC continues to be recognised (and awarded) as one of the most innovative and creative content teams in the Premier League
- Continued growth of our social media platforms whilst maintaining and growing our levels of engagement across each
- Support the achievement of commercial objectives with innovative and effective content solutions
- Positive Partner feedback and renewal levels
- Service Excellence programme delivery and adoption across all relevant teams within the Club
- Close collaboration with other Directors within the Commercial Department to achieve business objectives whilst ensuring morale within the team is maintained
- New and innovative sales proposition to drive business growth
- Achieving annual targets for fan loyalty and ‘feeling valued’
- ‘The HaloEffect’ sustainability strategy is embedded within the club and regularly communicated externally, with regular engagement opportunities for staff, fans and the community
What experience do you need?
- Proven track record of delivering strategic solutions that help achieve business objectives
- Proven ability to deliver effective and innovative creative solutions to meet a business/comms brief
- Brand strategy leadership and brand management experience
- Experience operating successfully within a fast paced, high intensity organisation / market
- Corporate communications strategy experience
- Digital strategy development and delivery
- Team leadership and development experience
- Budget development and Management
What skills do you need?
- Strategic thought leadership within a business context
- Communications strategy and planning
- Highly creative thinker
- Passion for, and understanding of, football
- Leading others to get the best out of individuals and multi disciplinary teams
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to think on your feet and deliver innovative strategic and creative solutions that help transform business performance
- Calm under pressure with a positive attitude
- The ability to influence and lead teams to help drive positive change
The Executives in Sport Group are retained on behalf of Southampton Football Club to appoint a Director of Brand Experience & Communications. All direct applications and CV's will be forwarded to The Executives in Sport Group.
Please note that due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide specific feedback on unsuccessful applications.
We ask that applicants complete our diversity monitoring form. You are not obliged to answer any of these questions but the more information you supply, the more effective our monitoring will be. All information supplied is anonymous and will not be viewed by recruiting managers.
(please copy and paste the link into your browser)