Assistant Youth Development Phase Coach
Job title: Assistant Youth Development Phase (YDP) Coach
Department: Academy Coaching
Based at: Blackburn Rovers Academy, Brockhall Village, Old Langho, Blackburn, BB6 8BA. However flexibility on location is required.
Reports to: Senior YDP Coach
Responsible for: N/A
Contractual status: Permanent
Job purpose: To develop the YDP players primarily within the U15/16 age groups through both team and individualised coaching sessions and games. This assistant role is responsible for supporting the development of all players within the Youth Development Phase
Duties and responsibilities:
- To be committed to ensuring the safeguarding and welfare of all elite players, promoting their well-being needs whilst maintaining professional boundaries;
- To coach and assist the development of the YDP age groups implementing best practice at all times through both team and individual performance;
- To liaising with Parents/Guardian of players on a regular basis;
- To assist with general running of Academy Coaching through a multi-disciplinary approach;
- To perform match day duties;
- To be responsible for organising additional fixtures where possible;
- To regularly review the performance of the YDP players in both training and matches;
- To complete weekly evaluations of player performance and upload onto the PMA system;
- To provide feedback on the YDP games programme during the weekly football meeting;
- To complete 8 weekly reviews with players;
- To complete 2x yearly parent's evenings, record topics discussed and targets for players;
- To support the Senior YDP Coach with informing parents/guardians of the players the decisions in relation to the transition of each player into the next age group/release;
- To monitor the PMA usage of staff within the YDP in partnership with the Senior YDP Coach, Head of Coaching and Academy Manager;
- To attend and present during phase specific multi-disciplinary meetings every 8 weeks;
- To support and review the process of performance of the YDP age groups on an annual basis during the Academy review;
- To complete the Coaches Competency Framework process with the Head of Coaching and Senior YDP Coach to implement and monitor the Coach Development Plan;
- To assist the Senior YDP Coach and Head of Coaching with the support for the Part-time Coaches within the YDP; and
- To carry out any such other duties as the Head of Coaching or Senior YDP Coach may reasonably properly assign or delegate in connection with the business of the Club from time to time.
- Highly organised;
- The ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team as well as use own initiative;
- The ability to work under pressure and meet set deadlines;
- The ability to use a variety of methods of communication;
- Excellent active listening skills (particularly pastorally for players);
- Good level of analytical skills;
- Competent use of key IT programmes including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and key online systems;
- The ability to communicate with integrity, honesty and empathy at times when required;
- Time management skills; and
- The ability to motivate and inspire others to achieve.
Knowledge / Experience required:
- Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding procedures and protocols;
- Knowledge of developing Youth Development Phase players in line with Academy legislation;
- Experience and knowledge of delivering practical sessions;
- Knowledge of curriculums for varying age groups through the Academy system;
- Knowledge and understanding of various coaching methods / strategies to get the best out of players;
- Knowledge and understanding of how players learn;
- Knowledge and awareness of the EPPP; and
- An understanding of an Academy system in an elite sporting environment – operation / structure
- UEFA A Licence;
- FA Youth Modules 1,2 and 3 (desirable or working towards);
- Advanced Youth Award (desirable or working towards);
- FA Safeguarding; and
- FA First Aid qualification.
DBS check required: Yes (enhanced)
The document is a guide only and should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the organisation.
Equality and Diversity
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Blackburn Rovers FC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. The job holder will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.