Academy Physical Performance Scientist
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Physical Performance Scientist; to become an important member of West Ham United Academy’s Physical Development team.
- Responsible for the iteration and implementation of monitoring systems within The Academy focused around providing information and insight to enhance MDT decision-making and individual performance impact.
- Responsible for the Football Science & Medicine department data management and data-related systems ensuring that data is collected and stored appropriately and that systems are automated maximising the effectiveness and efficiency of the data.
- With direction from the Head of Physical Development, be responsible for ensuring that feedback, reporting, profiling, and benchmarking systems are in place to provide insight and impact on MDT practice as required and requested.
- With direction from the Head of Physical Development, acquire and disseminate Sport Science related knowledge and information to The Academy. Ensure that provision is constantly evolving in line with best practices and the most up-to-date body of research.
- With direction from the Head of Physical Development, be responsible for the design, implementation, and reporting of any Sport Science projects.
- Responsible for ensuring that all documentation, processes, and systems are scaled relevant to age group and are aligned across the Academy.
- Maintain positive and effective working relationships with key first-team staff to ensure timely sharing of data between First Team and Academy, and maximise alignment in Sports Science data-related outcomes and processes.
- Be a positive and professional team member acting as an ambassador for the physical development model and support other departments to enhance interdisciplinary practice.
1. Staff must evidence a commitment to the safety and welfare of children, young people and adults at risk regardless of their age, gender, language, religion, ethnic background or sexual identity and ensure the safety and protection of all children, young people and adults at risk taking part in any activity arranged by or in the name of the Club.
2. It is a requirement for staff to follow the Club’s Safeguarding reporting procedures to report without delay, allegations of abuse, poor practice or which is or may, impact on the welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk. After contacting and taking guidance from the Safeguarding Team, staff must use the Club’s Child Protection Online Management System (CPOMS) to record the concern within 24 hours unless directed to do otherwise.
1. To ensure that all departments are provided within an anti-discriminatory framework and take account of such issues as race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion and age.
2. To carry out work in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity for both staff and clients.
- BSc (Hons) Sports Science (or equivalent)
- BASES accreditation or ability to attain within 6 months.
- Previous experience working with elite younth athletes
- Excellent Data Management, Visualisation, and Communication skills
- Good understanding of Growth & Maturation
- Good Understanding of Monitoring in Elite Football
- Good Understanding of Performance Testing
- Effective and appropriate communication skills
- Postgraduate qualification (MSc, MRes, PhD) in a relevant field
- Experience working within a Football Academy
- Experience using PMA
- Understanding of the expectations of a Category 1 Academy according to the EPPP
We are committed to the principle of equality and equal opportunities in employment and have been accredited with the being Disability Confident Leader. We will actively promote equality and equal opportunities in our business to ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and consistent with their relevant aptitudes, potential skills and abilities. Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
West Ham United FC is committed to equality and safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Positions that involve working with such groups are subject to safer recruitment protocols, including DBS Disclosure at enhanced level.
We believe that a diverse workforce strengthens our creativity and delivers the best commercial performance. We are, therefore seeking applications from high quality people, whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our company.
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health of our staff.